Parish Council Minutes - January 2018

Minutes of the Threlkeld Parish Council Meeting held at Threlkeld Village Hall, on Tuesday 23 January 2018 at 7.30pm

Present:  Cllr Carolyn Cripps chaired the meeting with Cllr Donald Angus, Cllr Roger Bragg Mick Le’Huray, Cllr Dot Benson, Cllr John Pickering, Cllr David ArkleyCllr Madeleine Singleton, Cllr tom Wentworth-Waites (CCC) and Cllr Richard Sealby (EDC) attended.

Members of Public

14 Members of the public

2017 / 174 – Apologies

• Cllr Les Dalzell

2017 / 175 - Minutes

• The minutes of the Council meeting held on 21 November 2017 was agreed for signing and initialling as a true record (Circulated prior to meeting).

2017 / 176 - Declarations of Interest

• Cllr David Arkley – 2017/179 - Planning Application 7/2017/3142

2017 / 177 - Exclusion of Press & Public (Public Bodies Admission to Meetings Act 1960)

• Not applicable to any agenda items.  

2017 / 178 - Democratic Half Hour / Public Question Time

• Neil Beresford spoke on behalf of Threlkeld Village Hall Trust, regarding their objection to planning application 7/2017/3140.  Their concerns included:
• Impact on the community
• Viability of the coffee shop due to the view being changed, the coffee shop heavily contributes to the income of the village hall, and 5% loss would result in the village hall receiving less income, and if the loss was 15% the coffee shop would not be viable.  
• No evidence of local needs
• Goes against multiple policies
• Henry Tuer confirmed his agreement with Neil Beresford’s comments
• Mike Chapman spoke as the nearest neighbour to the site, with the following comments:
• No local need
• The land has not been sought by LDNPA
• Greenfield site
• Not infill
• Could set a precedent
• Threlkeld is a traditional riven settlement, consistent with the area
• Damage to the village and village hall
• Chance development
• Urges TPC not to support
• Saima Afzal spoke regarding the support from the coffee shop to the village hall, and how it supports the local Brownie and Girl Guide group, which could not run without this support.  

 

2017 / 179 - Planning Applications

Reference No.

Description

Location

Comments

7/2017/3142

Adding 3no 3 x 4m fixed Timber/ S/S /Canvas Pavilions to approved beer garden with heaters and lighting

Horse & Farrier, Threlkeld, Keswick, CA12 4SQ 

No objections –  comment – ensure the lighting does not affect neighbouring properties.   

7/2017/3140

5 no. local needs housing

Land off Station Road, Threlkeld, Keswick, CA12 4TT 

Object – No local need (CS18 & CS04), inadequate car parking allowed for number/size of dwellings, Threlkeld is a ribbon development, and this development is outside the existing line, Threlkeld Housing Association have historically struggled to sell homes which are for local needs.  

2017 / 180 - Eden District Council & Cumbria County Council Representation  

• Cllr Richard Sealby informed the parish council that at his surprise at the resignation of the Chief Executive of EDC.  At the recent EDC meeting, the single site plan was discussed, this involved ensuring that the site was disabled friendly, and health and safety compliant.  The meeting also involved discussions regarding the allocation of seats on committees the CTRS scheme, footway lighting, and 2 items for which the press and public were excluded.   
• Cllr Tom Wentworth-Waites attended the meeting and advised he is still supporting the railway footpath repairs, and is pushing for an update.  The recent ELC meeting was cancelled due to the snow at Alston.  Tom was asked about the finger posts and signs, Tom to chase.  The roadworks on the A66 were also discussed, but it was noted that these are by Highways England, not CCC.  

2017 / 181 – EDC Devolution and Transfer of Assets

• It was agreed that the parish council is not able to accept the toilets, due to the financial implications.  The Clerk to contact EDC again to see if there are any other options available.  To be discussed at the February meeting to make a final decision.  

2017 / 182  Website Advertising

• It was agreed for the Clerk to contact impact Furniture and offer website advertising at £40 a year.  

2017 / 183  Threlkeld Village Hall Management Committee Trustee

• It was agreed for Cllr Dot Benson to continue at the PC Representative

2017 / 184 – Grant request from Cumbria Children’s Dyslexia Project

• It was agreed that this was not a charity within the parish to support.

2017 / 185 - Village Notice Board

• Cllr Donald Angus advised that a site has still not been found, and that considering other potential funding requests it was thought putting the project on hold would be best.  This was agreed.

2017 / 186 - Finance

• 186.1 - The Bank Reconciliation for December 2017 & January 2018was approved for signing by the Chairman

DATE

DESCRIPTION

EXPENDITURE 

INCOME 

23/11/2017

ICO

£                 35.00 

 

24/11/2017

Deposit

 

£        315.74 

28/11/2017

Heart internet

£15.59 

 

05/12/2017

Deposit

 

£100.00 

28/12/2017

R Kelly Wages

£204.10 

 

28/12/2017

Heart internet

£15.59 

 

15/01/2018

Deposit

 

£40.00 

15/01/2018

Deposit

 

£40.00 

16/01/2018

Transfer

 

£2,000.00 

16/01/2018

Deposit

 

£40.00 

23/01/2018

R Kelly Expenses

£16.45 

 

23/01/2018

McKanes

£226.09 

 

28/01/2018

R Kelly Wages

£204.10 

 

28/11/2017

Heart internet

£15.59 

 

05/12/2017

Deposit

 

£100.00 

Monies received at the meeting

23/01/2018

Car Parking

 

£             207.66 

23/01/2018

Donation

 

£             50.00

23/01/2018

Advertising

 

£             18.00

2017 / 187 - Highways

• The Highways Spokesperson gave an update including:
Works to flooding passed sewerage works to be completed in February
Potholes – keep reporting n Highways Hotline and CCC HIMS website
• The Highways England Strategic Road Network Initial Report Consultation was discussed, and it was agreed that the upgrading of the A66 was a priority.  
• It was agreed for the clerk to chase Highways England regarding the crossing, the area at Scales and the trees at the east end of the village

2017 / 188 - Correspondence

• All correspondence circulated prior to the meeting was noted.  

2017 / 189 - Flag Flying Dates

• 6 February 2018 - Representation of the People Act passed, allowing women to vote for the first time.

2017 / 190 - Reps. Reports

• None

2017 / 172 - Matters to be placed on the next agenda

• As above
• Parking on Rec field
• Railway footpath
• Works at the mines.  

2017 / 173 - Date of the next meeting

• The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Tuesday 20 February 2018, at 7.30pm

The meeting was closed at 21.00